PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 28th Oct 2014, 10:11
Dougie M

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HSP

The heaviest "HSP" I was involved with despatching was a Muirhill Tractor, an earth moving bulldozer and we were at maximum permissible drop load.
I was on JATE at the time and at Larkhill DZ the brief was that in the event of the extractor chute not deploying we would avoid all built up areas on the way to Boscombe and in the event of a jammed load we would attempt to crash straight ahead. The prospect of 5 x 60ft chutes fully deployed out the rear were deemed too much drag to stay airborne in that configuration. The Loadie, the diminutive M*** Mc*** volunteered to dress aft and cut the risers and admitted that it would just give him something to do before we and Black Ball Firs became close acquaintances.
The drop sequence was the longest 25 seconds of my life as my "green On" ADS switch went across and the Loadie said "Extractor Release".
There then followed a pause which still causes sweaty palms as I recall the effects of the deploying main chutes.
The captain started pushing the controls forward to counter the increasing nose up attitude as the copilot started advancing the throttles to counter the increasing loss of airspeed. Life seemed to slow down as both pilots hands were now against the dials at max power and full nose down before the Loadie's slightly squeaky voice said "Load Moving"
There followed a surreal interlude of "Load Gone", nose up, power back, recover control, height, attitude and situation awareness when the Eng. said, "I think you overtorqued No1."
Life speeded up again. My green light was still on where I left it and the captain declared that all his constipation problems were now solved.
On our return the Air Portability section were advised that if they wanted that thing in theatre they should send it by Fred. Olsen Lines.