PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot!
Thread: Pilot!
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2014, 09:07
darkroomsource

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to pass on the advice I received from an old pilot on the day I passed my flight test.

"Congratulations, now you have a license to kill yourself"

Let that sink in a bit.

Then he told me that right now, today, passing your test, you are qualified to fly the plane, and have all the skills necessary to pilot the plane properly. However, if you don't continue to learn, to get proficiency training, to read, to practice, and to fly regularly, your skills will slowly deteriorate over time. You won't realise that your skills have deteriorated, and one day you'll find yourself in a situation that you think you can handle, but you can't. Because your skill level won't be as good then as it is now.

UNLESS, you continue to learn. Get regular proficiency training. Have an instructor give you a "mock" flight test every so often. Keep your skills up. Practice them. Practice things like slow flight, flapless landings, etc.

Congratulations on achieving something that very few people do. When you think that something like 1/10 of 1 percent of the population can do this, and that some 2 billion people lived before aeroplanes existed, that you are in a very small club.

Be safe.