PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 28th Oct 2014, 09:05
ancientaviator62

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Op Vigour.
Came the day and we traveled in to Mombasa to position the a/c at Nairobi ready for the tour. Before we left Mombasa I had the first of those ground aggravations from a member of the team no less.
The doctor had sensibly brought along a med pack which was carefully stowed on the G/E's no go item out of harms way. She then produced a small box saying that it had to be kept chilled at all times. It was anti snake bite serum. Like many people she was under the (mistaken) impression the the 'K' had a proper refrigerator, a smaller version of the domestic kind which ran 24/7.
I explained the situation, that it was only an insulated box and only cool when filled with dry ice, a commodity not always available. Of course she wanted to put it in there anyway. I said no. I pointed out that there was a far greater chance of medical problems if the frozen meals were not kept chilled than the remote possibility of snakebite. I have never heard of snakebite amongst the 'K' crews at least not the type of snake we were discussing ! I was then told I would be held responsible for this act to which I readily agreed. I wrote out a chit absolving her of all responsibility and stuck the box under the para seats.
So off we went to Niarobi.

Typical dusty departure from one of the strips.