PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 28th Oct 2014, 08:47
ancientaviator62

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
As sycamore has said the TP has it correct, 30000 lbs, the narrator is incorrect. As I have mentioned before the heaviest airdrop load I ever dropped was 42000 lbs in triple ULLA. I think the 'book' max quoted load for the 'K' was 45000 lbs. I have the DVD of the TP course and when I first watched it I was surprised they were using the virtually extinct HSP for these trials. Much more telling I think would have been a double MSP or the triple ULLA.
The video is very good but like all of them it does not convey the noise, vibration and the sheer violence of a heavy drop especially a double MSP.
If there is a snag and the platform does not leave the a/c but the reefed (approx one third of their flying diameter) main parachutes do then it will be endex. Once those huge parachutes fully open then the a/c would struggle !
We used to reckon that actually the load and all the role fittings would be torn from the cargo compartment and given the forces involved it would be airborne before it reached the ramp. I am sure dragartist could flesh out this doomsday scenario rather more scientifically than I.