PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2014, 23:19
Danny42C

Fareastdriver,

Just as well that Throwing the Hammer is not a sport commonly played in the RAF (at 16lb, now that would really make your eyes water !). Even so I bet it'll be a long time before Wroughton A&E logs an injury like yours again. You missed a trick there - should've got a good Injury Lawyer (pity they hadn't been invented).

I hope the vivid account of your misfortune did not later evoke the comment: "that explains a lot !"

Wroughton was rather a nice hospital, as I recall (spent a month there in November '52).

The story of your "Combined Operation" with Jenkins brings to mind one told by Richard ("Batchy") Atcherley, one of the twin AVMs who were legends of the RAF in their own lifetime. Together with his identical twin David, they were nervous at the prospect of their first Aircrew Medical Board.

For David's eyes were not quite "up to scratch", and Richard had some kidney trouble. A plot was hatched to get round these difficulties. As "Batchy" put it: "David got through on my eyes; I got through on his humbler (but vital) contribution".

(Or was it the other way round ?).

(There was a rumour that "Batchy" had in his lounge a table lamp with a large, plain translucent shade. On this he'd pasted all the Letters of Reproof he'd received from the Air Council over the years - don't know if it's true, but it certainly rings true).

They don't make 'em like that any more !

Danny.