PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight Instructor Interview
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2014, 18:10
Genghis the Engineer

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts
A thought or two reading your slides.

- Nice and clean
- Too much information if you're putting them up at once, *probably* okay if you are using reveal as you get to each point.
- 3 degrees in a single in the visual circuit. Don't be silly.
- No mentions of speed or power
- Decide if you're going to teach point-and-power or pitch-for-speed / power-for-angle
- What the hell is a descent checklist on downwind? Never heard such nonsense.
- Not convinced about after t/o or ldg either. Wayyyyy too many checks for a newbie (or most of the rest of us).
- Too many words to say simple things. For example "On base: 35%, flaps LDG and when speed is 80 KIAS, initiate descent ": why not "Base / flaps inter / 80 KIAS". 35% what anyhow?
- Higher approach speeds on finall for turbulence? Wash your mouth out with soap and go read some aerodynamics
- Don't take land flaps in an SE until you're certain you'll make the runway if the engine coughs. Land flaps downwind is also silly.
- "End of downwind call", where do you get this nonsense? Also not many airports require a base call either, and certainly most students struggle to get "downwind" and "final" in, don't ask more of them unless absolutely essential.
- Why are you not explaining the check mnemonic?, because you certainly don't want students taking a checklist out in the circuit.
- Surely early on in the learning process, things like wake separation are too much information - that needs introducing pre solo, but not just before the first circuits session.
- Your use of a 45 downwind join suggest USA training? I'm not aware of that being used anywhere in Europe.

- You have 17 slides. That's about what I use for a 1 hour lecture.

Like BEAGLE said - K.I.S.S ! Get rid of about half of what's in those slides, and restrict it to what a student really needs for an introduction to circuits.

Seriously, I know I sound very critical and I'm sure you're a good pilot and this is very important to you. But, I think that you've fallen into the classic inexperienced teacher's trap of trying to say much too much. Pare it right down to the minimum absolutely essential, then if questioned, bring extra stuff in verbally.

Also know what your time permitted is, and practice delivering it in exactly that time.

Personally I'd also use a whiteboard rather than PP, which is very inflexible (see next door thread!)

Best of luck - the effort you've put in clearly shows how important this is to you, and please take my criticisms as supportive to somebody I want to succeed.

G

Last edited by Genghis the Engineer; 27th Oct 2014 at 18:23.