PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bang it on???
Thread: Bang it on???
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2014, 03:26
treykule

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Bang it on

the FAA defines a stall a bit differently, and more practically.
My old WW 2 instructor defined it even more practically....if you dont take some action we will hit the ground..
Semantics is a religion, and I am not anti-semantic.

Now to the original topic of discussion. I just came off the most interesting course. Our instructor ( not a 22 yr. old ponificator). Described our landing procedue hand flying, as....at 50 feet...pitch nose up to xxx and smoothly reduce power to idle.
When someone had the audacity to ask how they could look out the window to do a visual and fixate on a pitch angle they were jumped on from a great height.

I did not dare ask what one would do if they were crabbing for a crosswind and looking only at their attitude.

The new mantra apparently is to listen to that nifty little voice giving you altitude above ground, and then robotically try and replicate the computer and auto pilot.

On the other hand, in lighter aircraft we can still feel them down by actually looking outside for visual cues..

Btw...all my landings are planned as greasers... And as all of them are bang it ons, it makes it so much easier to pretend I am doing by the book.

Last edited by treykule; 27th Oct 2014 at 03:28. Reason: Spelling and gramma