PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Monarch in turbulence
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2014, 21:49
MaxPower2011

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bestofficeintheworld

This is my opinion based on my limited knowledge and a small amount of research based on my interest in Monarch, so I'm happy to be shot down but....

Comet - Greybull were a minority investor with no board representation, it was not Greybull, nor any of the final investors that caused its downfall, but the collapse of the Dixons merger. Creditors panicked causing a suffocation of cash flow. They were able to do that due to the significant stock assets at Comets disposal.

MAEL was indeed the most profitable arm of the monarch empire last year, however the fact that Monarch airlines was the largest contributor to that profit need not be underestimated. If you were a business family of let's say Swiss nationality but Italian descent and you owned an airline, an aircraft engineering company, a tour operator and various other travel related enterprises that all traded off each other, would you be tempted to move money between these companies in an efficient ( but legal ) manner so as to minimise your tax bill? How else could an airline survive for 48 years on next to no profit? Good will?

Airport slots - I am open to correction, but I believe airport slots cannot be sold between airlines. They can be returned to the airport authority and then auctioned off or sold as part of an airline sale. They may well be the companies most valuable asset but they are of no value to Greybull unless they flog the airline (which may well happen, but is not as bleak an outcome as what you have suggested)

737's - correct... I don't believe that an absolute firm order is in place, however the reported deal is worth £60m and the commitment from Greybull is around £125m so the theory doesn't add up.

Company cars - I don't get down to the LTN offices all that offices all that often, but from what I remember it hardly resembles the top gear car park. At the last check my base manager was driving a very nice but not over indulgent Ford Mondeo.

Not wholly innacurate, but most definitely doom mongering. There are massiv battles ahead, and significant sacrifices have been made, but Monarch are in a far better place than they were 3 months ago.