PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LHR nostalgia
Thread: LHR nostalgia
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2014, 21:26
pax britanica

Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts
Well JR you certainly picked outa few iconic symbols of LHR back in the day-yes those tankers with the windows in the roof looked very cool to a 13 year old . Among my favourite moments back then were seeing a Swissair Caravelle land on 28l and deploy the baking parachute . I was watching from the emergency services gate by the Stanwell Rivers and got a great view including the crew climbing down a rope from the cockpit to look it over. Another one was German Beech baron which caught fire on landing- on 10R by block 79 - no real harm done but one engine on fire was dramatic especially as it was followed by a succession of go-arounds-even then LHR had them pretty well stacked up one behind the other on finals. And something one would never see today but one quiet summers evening at the other end of the field at Cains Lane with a little spotter group someone peering down his telescope at the approach exclaimed God a spitfire and the airband radio one of the older guys had crackled into life with Spitfire G-XXXX requesting touch and go. Well not really a touch and go but a low beat up down the runway and then a dramatic pull up into a spiralling climb. Presumably on the way home from an airshow- quite a sight and vividly in my mind all these years on