PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Propellor feathering on light twin-engine aircraft
Old 26th Oct 2014, 20:24
john_tullamarine

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts
I had a good ME instructor who once (near end of training) gave me an unbriefed EF during a radio call. I fixated very nicely on the radio call and learned a good lesson from the result.

Likewise, shortly after check to the line on my first airline Type, the line captain - a positioning flight with only the two of us on board - pulled an engine on me during the rotation - night but visual.

Bit different when one isn't expecting it, is it not ?

Not terribly good form on his part in the general way of things but the exercise certainly made a good point regarding prioritisation and command thinking - stayed with me thereafter. (Fortunately, I did the appropriate things and it went well.)

Not sure how to fix that problem though, except the same way it was fixed with me. Better instruction

I suggest training and repetitious exposure in a safe environment .. and then a bit more of the same.

How many times, in our early Link training, did the instructor come to the hatch with a coffee (or other innovative distraction) .. just in time to see us go through the level, radial, or whatever ? Eventually, we all got the message - some quicker than others.

The FFS offers a wonderful tool for this sort of conditioning work.