PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Court suits regarding the April 29 747 freighter crash at Bagram Airfield
Old 26th Oct 2014, 19:46
Binthere

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Load shift?

I think it's time to take the focus off the crew and in particular the Loadmaster. It has already been established that the load did in all probability shift at some point as the aircraft accelerated down the runway. Why did this happen? The investigation is focusing on a number of factors. Broken restraints are one of the main issues. What might surprise many of you who have offered an opinion is the probable chain of events that led to the load moving. All restraints, either certified straps (brownlines) or chains etc are fixed to either the pallet or as in most cases like this, the floor of the aircraft by way of the fixed seat tracks. Although not published (yet), it seems some of the seat tracks 'gave way' and came away from the floor, this in turn would have put addition stress on the remaining tie down equipment to such an extent the remaining tie downs were unable to hold the load in place against the force of the accelerating aircraft. Thus the result was inevitable and unfortunate in the extreme. The Loadmaster can only be guided by the restrictions published by the manufacturer. Did you know the only restriction placed on the use of the seat tracks is the distance between the points used (about 20 inches if the restraints are in the same direction). This is about the same distance separating the restraint points under a passenger seat. There is no published restriction ( as far as I know, and I've been loading cargo aircraft longer than I care to remember) on the weight that can be restrained via the seat track. It's not rocket science to work out the amount of stress put on the seat track In relation to the weight of the load. Any
Loadmaster worth his salt would ensure all his tie downs were as tight as possible. Now take into account the weight of the vehicles he was carrying, the amount of tie downs he was using and then consider the effect this had on the fixings holding the seat track to the airframe and you have a recipe for disaster which was probably never imagined by the manufacturer.
We are all just waiting for a final verdict and a statement from the aircraft manufacturer restricting the future use of seat tracks for load restraint on all cargo aircraft. Do not point fingers or even speculate on the job done by a highly professional individual, look first for facts.