PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Serviceman refused service in uniform
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2014, 17:18
Herod

"Mildly" Eccentric Stardriver

Received 224 Likes on 66 Posts
It does make me feel ashamed when people I've worked with try to pull this stunt, thinking they deserve better treatment or a reduction in price from a family owned small business. Despite the fact they've stayed in the UK working behind a desk.

There's plenty of other occupations who contribute just as much to society, who we could not do without. Yet they don't walk around in uniform just to get special treatment.

I never ask for discount because I don't think I've done anything special. I'd feel embarrassed to cash-in on the bravery of others.
Since you've taken my original post and turned it to your own ends, I'll make it clearer. The serviceman concerned was not trying to get to the head of the line, nor was he asking for a discount. He was trying to BUY a packet of cigarettes, which is perfectly legal. My point was that in some other countries not only would he have been served, but probably served with a smile. I'm not saying we should give preferential treatment to every serviceman, nor treat them as gods; just be normally courteous. OK, the young lady made a mistake; not the end of the world.