PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Direct Entry Pilot.
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2014, 13:56
slowjet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bigdav ; Why are you getting so hot & bothered about feedback ? Can't you just be yourself and go along for the process without any pre-conceived ideas?
Selection is selection is selection. Where you have more applicants than places available, the selection techniques kick in and are wide and varied.

Way back, when dinosaurs roamed the planet earth, I applied to the RAF. The pre-selection booklet informed that it was much better (for the RAF, presumably) that candidates had no idea of the content of the procedure. That way, the RAF could, reliably predict, the likelihood of success in aircrew training. I went in raw and failed. I was told by a soooper bod with handlebar moustache that the tests revealed that I was unlikely to succeed in aircrew training WITHIN THE TIME SPECIFIED. That was the issue. Time constrained and money restrained.

I awaited two years, practiced all the tests that I could remember, grew a handlebar moustache, listened to the advice of a Wing Commander who lived up the road and was awarded a RAF Cranwell Cadetship at a time, when in fact, Cranwell was a real Acadamey and fostered the General List. But, I had cloned myself & wondered if I had fooled the Selection Board. I gave them what they wanted to see. It might still be likely that I would not succeed the more difficult training that was being offered than the original short service proposal. I thought.

I declined the offer and went on to a moderately successful airline career. I did see guys honing up on books available, like "How to pass the CX interview" ; "How to pass the EK interview" etc etc !

As a CX candidate myself, I turned in a phenomenal flight test (tristar) but the interview panel looked at the "A+" and commented ; "probably practised in your own time eh ?". I hadn't, wouldn't want to, couldn't afford to anyway and disliked the Ozzy Training Captain who kept looking at me in an uncomfortable way (kept winking for heaven's sake !). Shaved of the moustache and returned to Crawley !

So, point is, Boards' are aware that we practice, read all the books , hone up on Tech Quizes etc etc. It is now, therefore, very difficult to spot the raw candidate rather than the interview cheat.

I did get to serve on the Selection Board for two major carriers. The guys & Galls we really liked, thought that they presented themselves well, looked like they were trainable and would fit into our organizations comfortably, inevitably got the green light.

Stop looking for feedback, be yourself, be enthusiastic about the fantastic opportunity being presented & you will be of considerable interest to the Selectors. Good luck.