PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 50 Years of Domestic Jets
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2014, 13:51
Eastwest Loco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Pleased to say I was on the observation deck at MEB as a spotty little 8 year old kid to see Juliet Alpha arrive. Major event.

My Dad was a TAA LAME at the time and the roar of reverse thrust was amazing, even to a kid who grew up around the Essendon hangars.

Less than a year later I had my 1st ever flight - MEL SYD return on standby with Dad. Standby was just that in those days. We stood at the rear air stairs and waited util the Hosties checked the number of empties and called us aboard according to the number of empties. I scored a seat in First! Dads push no doubt. My love for the Airline was sealed.

We had the day in Sydney and came back in the rear lounge of Tango Lima Charlie.

What a great Sunday for an 8 year old in the sixties with a ride to Manly on the ferry and a quick visit to the Zoo.

Kids at Toorak Central wouldn't believe me but Dad brought his camere

No - we never lived in Toorak but my Mother taught there.

Great memories and a wonderful "lay you back i n the seat" aeroplane.

I have photos at MEL AMD when she was decomissioned and looking rather sad. It seemed wherever I went around Australia Julie Alpha was there to bring me home. I had to say goodbye to her and a LAME took me out, let me drop the rear airstairs and I thanked her from within.

A beautiful aeroplane and I have wonderful memories of the ground breaking girl.

Best all

EWL

Last edited by Eastwest Loco; 26th Oct 2014 at 13:53. Reason: Don't know where in hell the "thumbs down" came from, but no negatives in these memories.