PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thomas cook b757 incident, what a total mess
Old 26th Oct 2014, 10:30
gatbusdriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The fact of the matter is it is not a normal every day manoeuvre and that is only reaffirmed by the number of poorly flown go arounds over the years. A quick précis of the go around could save a lot of embarrassment. It's a big like touch drills for a reject just before you line up, having talked about it you increase your chances of getting it right under stress.

Having worked for TCX I can only say positive things about their training department, we have trained many different scenarios over the years a couple of valuable ones I remember are engine failures at various different stages after Vr, the argument being that you have more chance of hitting birds a little after rotate than at V1 (although the ThomsonFly was pretty close!). Another exercise we did was go arounds at different stages including being told to GA just above your GA alt. For all those that have gone into PMI on 06 (if I remember correctly) I believe the initial altitude is 2000'........what would you do if you were told to GA at 2300'.........when asked the question I came up with all sorts of wonderful ideas but the solution was very simple, one I wouldn't have thought of without guidance from an excellent training department!

These poor sods were just caught out by a little startle factor, reversion to type (I know I have made calls for flap 2 instead of 5!) and some other NOTECH issues possibly affecting their judgement or ability on the day.

Should this have happened.........of course not........could it have been handled better.........absolutely...........but we wouldn't be talking about it if it had been managed better and been a non event. Take this opportunity to learn...