PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Planned Media Release re CASA Misinformation
Old 26th Oct 2014, 08:45
Creampuff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From the Canadian equivalent of the Australian AIP, section called "RAC". Except for the bolding in headings, the bolding and underlining are my additions:
4.5 Aircraft Operations — Uncontrolled Aerodromes

4.5.1 General

An uncontrolled aerodrome is an aerodrome without a control tower, or one where the tower is not in operation. There is no substitute for alertness while in the vicinity of an uncontrolled aerodrome. It is essential that pilots be aware of, and look out for, other traffic, and exchange traffic information when approaching or departing from an uncontrolled aerodrome, particularly since some aircraft may not have communication capability. To achieve the greatest degree of safety, it is essential that all radio-equipped aircraft monitor a common designated frequency, such as the published MF or ATF, and follow the reporting procedures specified for use in an MF area, while operating on the manoeuvring area or flying within an MF area surrounding an uncontrolled aerodrome.

• MF area means an area in the vicinity of an uncontrolled aerodrome for which an MF has been designated. The area within which MF procedures apply at a particular aerodrome is defined in the Aerodrome/Facility Directory Section of the CFS, under the heading COMM.

Normally, the MF area is a circle with a 5-NM radius capped at 3 000 ft AAE.

At uncontrolled aerodromes without a published MF or ATF, the common frequency for the broadcast of aircraft position and the intentions of pilots flying in the vicinity of that aerodrome is 123.2 MHz.

9.13 IFR Procedures at an Uncontrolled Aerodrome in Uncontrolled Airspace

Pilots operating under IFR in uncontrolled airspace should, whenever practical, monitor 126.7 MHz and broadcast their intentions on this frequency immediately prior to changing altitude or commencing an approach. Therefore, when arriving at an aerodrome where another frequency is designated as the MF, descent and approach intentions should be broadcast on 126.7 MHz before changing to the MF. If conflicting IFR traffic becomes evident, this change should be delayed until the conflict is resolved. Once established on the MF, the pilot shall make the reports listed in RAC 9.12 (see RAC 4.5.4 for MF procedures, and RAC 4.5.5 for the use of 123.2 MHz where a UNICOM does not exists).
The equivalent of the area frequency in G in the system described above seems to be 126.7.

The equivalent of the default CTAF if the system described above seems to be 123.2.

When I did maths, 126.7 was a different number to 123.2.

I repeat my question:

Dick and triadic: Can you confirm that in the system you're advocating, the default CTAF frequency is the same frequency as what is currently the area frequency in G?

The answer remains a 'yes' or a 'no'.