PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 26th Oct 2014, 08:26
ancientaviator62

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
The boss nominated a 30 Sqn crew complete with their usual G/E. The make up of the rest of the team was left to me. An extra ALM, the lady MO (the sgt medic would cover in Mombasa) and four of the RAFP security team were the obvious choices. The four security chaps would not be sufficient to comply with their duty rules but they did their usual excellent job without complaint.
Attention now turned to the role equipment we would need for the task. We used to have a weekly resupply a/c visit the detachment and fortunately there was just time to catch the next one. The famous 10G loo, so well described by upgently, was requested as were some ex Beverley seats. Other odds and ends were added to the list. It was obvious from the itin that we would be carrying at least a pallet load of relief supplies into the LZs so that actual a/c role fit was defining itself.
Someone had suggested we ask for the VIP caravan but I vetoed that on space and comfort grounds ! It is an awful bit of kit.
Appointing me Aircraft Commander had set up potential friction between myself and the a/c captain. I sorted this by stressing that in the air he made all the decisions whilst I would take over on the ground. As we all know the irritation. exasperation and sheer b.....ation all occur on the ground. We usually experience a sense of karma once the wheels leave terra firma .
He was happy with this ! There are two tales of this trip that I will not relate in an open forum. However should you ever meet me and ply me with more than the recommended daily alcohol units then you may well get the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth !
TBC