PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lay of the land in Helicopter world
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2014, 02:09
aa777888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the equivalent to a C172 in the helicopter world?
Around here (New England, USA), the "C172 of the helicopter world" has got to be the R44 Raven II. That is what your average "weekend helicopter warrior" is piloting and there are a great many of them flying compared to anything else even close to that type of machine (300NM range with all 4 seats filled).

Say what you want about it's safety and flying qualities, it's a tough act to beat. From $250K for something with say 1000 hours/5 years left on it to $350K for a very nice used ship, or $480K or so for a brand new one, there's nothing else that will fly 828 lb (+/-) plus full tanks for 300+NM at anywhere near those prices. The next closest machine would be an R66! You can't do it in a 480B. MD500's and old Jetbox's don't generally get that inexpensive (nor do 480B's for that matter).

I'm looking into buying an R44 myself, but sadly the demographic for private heli owners is just not the same as for C172's! Whereas you can easily find 2 or 3 folks to form a partnership for a 172, the cost of a heli license, even an add-on, is steep enough that people with rotorcraft licenses seem to be wealthy enough to not want to share. I'm in that funny middle ground, able to afford the license but not quite willing to go all in on the heli, even a cheaper R44.

Anyone looking to partner in southern NH?