PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Propellor feathering on light twin-engine aircraft
Old 26th Oct 2014, 00:28
Tee Emm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Secondly - can someone please tell me the last time an Australian registered twin had an engine failure shortly after takeoff where failure to feather quickly was the cause of loss of control and crash? I can think of NONE in twenty years.
The Duchess fatal at Camden during a practice engine failure after take off. the instructor foolishly cut the mixture as the gear was retracting but failed to re-start the engine and set zero thrust. The drag from the windmilling propeller caused drastic airspeed loss and the aircraft descended into the ground after clipping trees. . Failure to feather quickly (aka set zero thrust which for simulation is the same thing) was the cause of loss of control.
Whether it is a VH rego or not has nothing to do with the subject.

The Dove crash at Essendon. Engine failure shortly after lift off. The pilot was so engrossed in attempting to first retract the gear and flaps that he never got around to feathering the failed engine.

The Cessna 404 (?) crash at Essendon after taking off from runway 35. Total or partial engine failure shortly after becoming airborne. The pilot was so engrossed in talking to and replying to ATC about the engine failure that he never got around to feathering the propeller and due to windmilling drag got below Vmca and flicked inverted and went in.

Cessna 404 crash in Scotland. Engine failure after take off beyond Blue Line speed at the time. Pilot did not feather the propeller and got below Vmca and went in killing all 8 aboard.

I think these accidents illustrate the importance of prompt feathering following engine failure.

relating to an impossibly rare occurrence.
Read above fatal accidents for "impossibly rare occurrence".