PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LHR nostalgia
Thread: LHR nostalgia
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2014, 18:07
Mr Oleo Strut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One or two for the road...

Having discovered this mine of memories of old LHR and casting my mind back to the early sixties when I started working there I was trying to remember the names of some of the pubs and places of refreshment we used at or near the airport. There was, of course, the legendary Peggy Bedford at the top of the Colnbrook bypass, a veritable free-port for the exchange of goods for currency of all types, usually potable or smokable. And the Air Hostess, on the old A4 near the main entrance. Just inside that was a large Nissen hut, a greasy spoon cafe, referred to as the Green Goddess, I think, where deep-fried offerings of dubious provenance were always available. In the centre, where the new (now-ex) control tower was built, there was a big staff canteen and bar which had a mixed reputation, I seem to remember. But for those with a more flexible luncheon timetable there was an establishment on the very isolated south side, at Bedfont, which we used to go to, but the name escapes me, as does that of another pub we used to go to at Harmondsworth. I always looked forward to visiting the very grand staff canteen at BOAC, in the heart of the co-called Kremlin complex. Mind you, the facilities at the new BEA catering base on the North side were not to sneezed at. Very superior watering-holes indeed!