PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LHR nostalgia
Thread: LHR nostalgia
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2014, 17:14
Mr Oleo Strut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Discorde...

What a pleasant surprise it was to see your shot of the DC8 in the cabbage patch, and the Deux-Ponts in profile. What memories! I had a close association with both of them. I was on duty that day when TCA decided to trim the cabbages and was detailed to get out there asap and secure the duty-free bar boxes from predation, which I did. I was in the Customs, you see, the oddly named (well, for an airport) 'Waterguard' service of HMC&E. So armed with the two gold rings which Her Majesty had graciously bestowed on me I leapt into an official car and roared off round the peri-track. I could not shake-off the stench of rotting cabbages for some time afterwards. Now for the Bregeut. Part of our duties involved the boarding and clearance of all incoming aircraft: of these, the Bregeut was particularly interesting. You climbed up into the little door at the back and undertook a sort of Gallic obstacle course, involving various steps and ladders and eventually arrived, breathless, up in the cockpit, much to the amusement of the flight crew. Another interesting two-decker aircraft was the BEA Argosy, but my favourite was the Seaboard & Western CL44 (Britannia) 'hinged-in-the-middle' freighter that used to whisper-in very early in the morning to the Shell hangers over near Hatton Cross. Happy, far-off days, now, but clearly not forgotten. Well done!