PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON History and Nostalgia
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2014, 15:06
OUAQUKGF Ops

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Dear Oleo Strut,

All is not lost.

G-APWA can just be seen in the background behind the Twin Pin in the 1963 panoramic of Luton which I posted. She was leased from Handley Page by Autair for the summer pending the arrival of the three Ambassadors from Globe Air of Switzerland.

G-APWB/C/D were purchased from the Ministry of Aviation in November 1966 and arrived at Luton in BEA colours having previously worked the Highlands and Islands network. As a whole they were initially in very poor condition and were not cleared for public transport or pressurised flight. They spent most of the winter parked outside Autair's Hangar (The latter alas R.I.P.) until undergoing extensive refurbishment and repair. Even so they occasionally flew in this fallow period. I can recall the coldest flight of my life. On a winter's evening one of our 748s with Pete Hogg at the helm burst a tyre at Glasgow. Len Prudence flew one of these Heralds with a gaggle of engineers, a spare wheel, hydraulic jack and me (Ops Teaboy) from Luton to Glasgow. There were no seats, no pressurisation and naturally enough no heating. I think we were back to Luton before the 748!

These three Heralds were sold to an outfit in Colombia South America in 1970.