PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Propellor feathering on light twin-engine aircraft
Old 25th Oct 2014, 13:23
Slippery_Pete

Received 374 Likes on 70 Posts
Centaurus, I usually really dig your posts. This is all well and good theory but practically, it's a storm in a tea cup, relating to an impossibly rare occurrence.

Firstly - As someone else noted, a catastrophic mechanical failure is reasonably likely to be caused or accompanied imediately by a complete loss of oil pressure - and the prop will feather before the propeller slows and the pitch locks engage.

Secondly - can someone please tell me the last time an Australian registered twin had an engine failure shortly after takeoff where failure to feather quickly was the cause of loss of control and crash? I can think of NONE in twenty years.

Now compare that stat to light twin accidents from
- Inadvertent IMC
- disorientation at night
- fuel starvation (exhaustion or selection)
- weather related phenomena

This is an interesting system technicality and nothing more.

If you have a light twin and want to polish your skills with an instructor, go and do some night circuits at a black hole aerodrome, practice some UAs in a synthetic trainer, or get an instructor to induce the leans for you (easy to do) and learn to fight it and trust the clocks no matter how bad and disoriented you feel.

Statistically, this training is probably 100 times more likely to keep you alive than learning how to quickly feather an engine without running a 5 second drill first, in the unbelievably unlikely scenario that in the first few hundred feet after takeoff, you suffer a catastrophic engine failure and fast loss of propeller rotation while your engine still develops oil pressure.

You're probably statistically more likely to win lotto. Twice.