PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 617 Squadron - After The Dams
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2014, 08:08
Peter-RB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My family have a long association with the RAF especially 617 and 272 Sqdns, having been brought up as a "Boomer" listening to the tales told to me by my much respected Uncles and father, I find it difficult to listen and even accept the new and modern day slant of how historians and film makers see things now and try to re-write history after a frame by frame dissection of grainy old films taken at the height of some serious military operations, wartime films and Sqdn diaries of events that happened 70 years ago will be inaccurate, but at the time that was all we had to try and record what had happened only a few hours earlier.

I don't think we are quite as bad as the Yanks making a film about "they were the ones to discover and get hold of the Enigma decoding machine" sadly in that era there was a lot of Flawed thinking in planning and expectations of just what could be achieved , after all even Bader was shot out of the Sky and he was supposed to be a super hero!.

I enjoyed the film that was narrated by Jon Nichol, and possibly like many people on this small Island of our I have a great respect for his ability, and even a greater repect for him and his fellow pilot who both went to hell and back, during the episode of Mr Blair's war on Iraq.

What is also nice is that he is able to answer critics who seem to feel indignant at comment made in the recent showing of the film about the flyers of 617 Sqdn, who will forever be a much respected Squadron like all the rest who have some history of action taken against the bad guys.

Some of us have the benefit of knowing what happened because we were around at the time, but accuracy of War facts is something that history cannot guarantee..... ref the recent comments of the dribbling Generals of the Iraq/Afghanistan conflict...!

Peter R-B
Lancashire