PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Planned Media Release re CASA Misinformation
Old 25th Oct 2014, 04:52
Creampuff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you comfortable that everybody else using the airfield knows it is on your chart?
No.
Are you comfortable that when your chart does NOT show an aerodrome, that there is no other chart that does show an aerodrome at that location?
No.
What about places where the the aerodrome is marked with an ultralight or hang gliding symbol but no aerodrome symbol? I suspect these locations typicallly use 126.7, and DO have significant traffic. Is someone going to tell them they should be on area? Or does an ultralight symbol count as an aerodrome marked on a chart?
Don't know and don't care.

It doesn't matter, if you do what I was taught to do:

Always assume there's always traffic around that is:

- not required to carry serviceable VHF, or
- on the wrong frequency or suffering other finger trouble,

and, if operating in and out of a flat piece of terra firma of any description, depicted or otherwise, will be carrying out 'unusual' circuit joins, going in 'unusual' circuit directions and flying at 'unusual' heights.

There shouldn't need to be a rule about keeping a lookout, but I note that there is one. It's a very good idea to comply with it.

If pilots want to fly around with the VHF welded to 126.7 - they can go for it. Many of them will eventually work out the benefits - to everyone - of monitoring area frequency and broadcasting on it when appropriate.

Last edited by Creampuff; 25th Oct 2014 at 05:09.