PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Working for a week in PNG.
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2003, 18:28
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Azimuth believe it... I landed the Otter in the picture. One of my favorites actually, always looked forward to visits with Father Abel...a real old charachter who's been there since the late 40s, built the airstrip and Church...and sadly to quote him (in heavy French accent with rolly hanging from lower lip) "I 'ave wasted ma liif on dese useless, thieving etc, etc". Seems like every time he visits 'the world' something bad happens...Europe in the mid 50s was Ok apparently, nothing much had changed since the war, when he was French Underground, captured and survived several years in a Concentration Camp. The same place 12 years later was more than he could comprehend...Mini skirts/ The Beattles etc. A visit to Moresby in the mid 90s had him stabbed by the people he has dedicated his life to...very sad.

Not all these photos are mine as they were mostly lost in 1994 but are those taken by various ex PNG Pprune contributors to past threads and I have saved them to replace my lost ones.

Finals @ Kamalai

Lined up @ Kamalai

And to give Satwag some scale this is looking back along finals toward the east...Satwag elevation 4000'

Landing into the west @ Satwag

Unloading coffee from NCA C206 @ Aseki

Finals Kiantiba

Enjoy...we most assuredly did

Agreed Captain Fathom...pole forward lest thy tail smite the earth

Chuck.

Edit: I hope you don't mind me giving some colour to your very excellent thread by posting the piccies...lets people truly appreciate the very well written opening post...

Last edited by Chimbu chuckles; 22nd May 2003 at 18:56.