PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON History and Nostalgia
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2014, 22:00
Mr Oleo Strut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OUAQUKGFops....

How pleasant to see your print of Dart Herald G-APWC in Autair colours. I remember it in BEA regalia when I worked on it at Woodley as a Handley Page apprentice, particularly the fun and games getting it into the hangar due to the high tail configuration and low hangar doors. Pleasant to know that WC is preserved at the Berkshire Museum of Aviation - I wish it were inside - and if I ever visit Woodley again I'll go and see the old girl for a final time. They were happy days, full of hope, no money, long hours of study and no inkling of what was about to overwhelm us and HP. Probably best not to have known all that. Its all history now but nice to see a reminder of those far off days. Wish I was still fit enough to cycle to and from Woodley, and to the Bull at Sonning for a couple of lunch-time pints with the lads, before dollying up for a few hours of afternoon riveting or drilling and reaming. The smell of thinners, hydraulic and degreasing fluids, paint, grease and cellulose, all magically combined with dollops of sweat and pleasure. Happy days, indeed. Many thanks!