PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Time for a proper Armed Forces Ombudsman?
Old 24th Oct 2014, 14:59
Al R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SCC wrote in her last annual report.

(JTO - does letter at Appendix 5 explain what you say?)

<< Dear Secretary of State

For the sixth year I am unable to give you and Parliament an assurance that the Service complaints system is working efficiently, effectively or fairly. I am concerned that the goals I set for the end of 2013 have not been achieved, despite additional resources being deployed by the Services.

As I have reported previously, the current system is not efficient or sustainable. Nor do I believe that it is working effectively. I am concerned particularly about the apparent increase in bullying and harassment of personnel in the Army, as well as in complaints about such treatment. Whether or not the increase in complaints reflects a growing confidence about speaking out or fully represents the scale of such improper treatment, the Army must now use the Service complaints system effectively to make their zero tolerance policy work in practice. Three case studies in this report give good examples of decisive action in this regard.

Delay remains the principle reason for unfairness in the system, in the Army and RAF particularly. Problems remain in the monitoring, handling and recording of Service complaints and this report, like previous reports, contains case studies that show how a slow, ineffective and unfair system can exacerbate the wrong complained about, including damage to mental health.

Sadly I am unable to provide an assurance that the data contained in this report provided by the Army and RAF is reliable. I am including an explanation (at Appendix 5) from the RAF as to why the information they provided for last year’s Annual Report was incorrect.>>

http://armedforcescomplaints.independent.gov.uk/linkedfiles/afcindependent/newsandpublications/37155modsccreport2013v0.9.pdf