PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristow AW189
Thread: Bristow AW189
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2014, 09:41
[email protected]

Received 623 Likes on 271 Posts
I know it must hurt to see it go to an organisation that you feel may not be able to continue to offer the high class service
I don't think that, but I do feel they will be constrained at every turn by the limitations of the aircraft, the poor regard (particularly in financial terms) the rearcrew are held in, the shrinking MCA, the training burden and the lack of real understanding of UKSAR by the CAA/EASA.

There are a lot of top operators who will be working for Bristow in UKSAR, both front and back - I just hope that the joy of doing such a rewarding job isn't mired by financial penny-pinching and out-dated attitudes to cabin crew (especially from some of the pilots). Pop quiz - which mil SAR flts have a separate crewroom for rearcrew and pilots

Jim - the 189 is a modern helicopter and will therefore have a high disc loading (AUM/Disc area) so it will have a fierce downwash regardless of being lighter than the S92. As engines have become more powerful it has allowed designers to reduce the size of the rotors and push air quicker through the fan - that equals faster downwash.