PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is the RAF "anti-cannon" ?
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2014, 09:23
typerated

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts
I found the comments on strafe range interesting. On the range in the 80s I don't remember much difference between Tornados, A-10s or Jag and Harrier GR3s (with ADEN or SNEBS for that matter) in terms of firing range for the shallow pops from low level. Certainly everything overflew the panel before turning away. I do remember the first burst of an A-10 trying "two target strafe" was at long range - but they usually missed on one of the shots (or at least got a low score)! any other types tried two target strafe?
I was never convinced that strafe would be used on anything other than targets of opportunity and imagined crews would be going too fast and too low to get a shot off in real life against the Warsaw Pact, even if they saw something worthwhile.
I also remember reading Pierre Closterman writing about staffing a German airfield in Tempests. He described one attack where , if I remember correctly , only he and his wingman survived from 14 aircraft that pitched in - as he said "it wasn't worth the candle!"
What I found interesting was that they dived down from 5000ft or so and were doing 500mph at just a few feet as they came across the airfield. Lower but not much slower than would have been done in the 80s - and they got hammered by 20mm AAA - Just made me wonder what the loss rate of Jags, Harriers and Tornados would have been against the Warsaw Pact?