PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cold War days - A/C turnaround times
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2014, 08:45
Ogre

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
camlobe - I remember that night well, or rather the next morning when we woke up and found the bunch across the runway had lost a jet overnight, I helped unload the bits they dredged up from a low loader.

One thing to add about the armourers, even though we were "other" trades, we were trained to be part of load teams to assist on re-arming the jet under the supervision of a bombhead sneck. For example We were carefully drilled on using the loader to lift the 1000lb to a couple inches short of the pylon, then adjust the front/back and left/right on the bomb tray so it lined up with the Explosive Release Unit (ERU_ before raising it up the last few inches and locking it into place.

At three in the morning the more usual procedure was for front/back to be adjusted by moving the loader, then the left/right was resolved by the bombhead leaning on the bomb tray until it was lined up then we pumped like hell to raise it unto the ERU and lock it in before the bombhead let go.

This only works on the wing pylons, there was not enough space in the bomb bay to do the left/right leaning.

Four bombs in the bomb bay, two on the wings and a sidewinder on the outer I think, but then we had to take them all off and replace the CBLS on the wings before it went off