PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stapleford PPL training
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2014, 08:04
Mach Jump

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Adam, I think it's great that any 14yo is interested in learning to fly, and I can say that it is easily the most engaging and fascinating thing I did with my life. (You can hear the 'but' comming, I'm sure.)

I'm a little dismayed that you have done six flying lessons and you don't already know these things. This is not your fault. You need to have a serious chat with your Instructor about what is involved in learning to fly, and what books you should be reading to go with it. There are several series of books associated with flight training, and Vol. 1 of any of these is the one you need right now. This contains the syllabus and all the flying exercises. I reccomend the AFE series.

As has already been mentioned, the most frustrating problem you will have, is that you will be ready to fly solo way before you are old enough. (You have to be 16 to fly solo, and 17 to apply for a Licence.) This will involve either an excrutiating delay in your training at the worst possible time, or it will be suggested that the order of the syllabus doesn't really matter, and that you can continue with the rest of the exercises, and do all the solo flights at the end instead. This disrupts the logic and flow of the process, and is very confusing.

I know that this isn't what you want to hear, but I would strongly reccomend that you postpone any formal training until you are 16.

MJ