PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pathways to LAME in Australia
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2014, 07:49
ItsBesideThePoint

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Mate,

I'm an Avionics LAME in GA (General Aviation). With recent changes coming about with CASA Licensing we are broken into a few different categories. To keep things simple it's bananas in pajamas: B1 - Engine/Airframe, B2 - Avionics. So I am have a B2 license.

I got started in this industry by going to Aviation Australia in Queensland and getting my Cert IV in Aeroskills, which is a one year course. TAFE's around the country also offer this Cert IV. Queensland do seem to have a few options when it comes to different institutes that offer this training as opposed to NSW, which is where I am now based.

Once getting the theory modules of the Cert IV out of the way I then got offered an apprenticeship with a company in NSW which is where I complete the practical side of the training and after 3 years I was awarded a Cert IV in Aeroskills. Now, what some of the other guys have done is got an apprenticeship with an employer and then over about 4 years have done their theory in block release with TAFE over that period.

The next step will be a little different for you as it was for me since the regulations have changed on licensing, but I sat a number of CASA exams and filled out a logbook of experience to apply for my LAME license. CASA is now doing away with this and as I understand it now you need to then go on to do a Diploma at TAFE or similar institute.

As for the state of the industry, I can only speak for what I have experienced in GA. What I have found now, about 6 years in, is that there is plenty of opportunities and good pay, but... you have to have a passion for what you do, and be dedicated for the long term.

Last edited by ItsBesideThePoint; 24th Oct 2014 at 08:14.