PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 24th Oct 2014, 07:45
ancientaviator62

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
We did have the pre 'SF' crew on 48 as the 'Pathfinder Crew' and did the FEAF 'SF' task out there. I have entries in my log book to this effect. We used to airland with the Special Forces using very dim torches. No NVG then. Gong Keddar was one of the places we used for para and airland. The old airfield at Sembawang was also used and I still remember us turning low over the docks. Jungle drops were done on top of a tethered helium balloon. Where we dropped the SBS I have no idea ! Perhaps Brian the Nav knows.
We also dropped the Malaysian Special Forces.
It was Xercules flight commander of course who I believe wrote the Service Paper setting up the SF flight.
When I returned to the UK I continued in that role on 48 until I went to the OCU as an airdrop instructor. It had by then reformed at Lyneham and another superb station was well on the way to becoming an army base.

Back to Op Vigour .
Pic of one of our two a/c at one of the strips we used. You may remember my tale ref the three engine ferry in post #1549. Well after that life went on as routinely as these things can until we received a signal from group. Baroness Chalker the Minister for Overseas Development would be arriving on a tour of inspection to see how the relief op was going. Full details would be sent later. You may recall that the op was jointly funded by her department and MOD. No problem we thought, the boss might have to do a meet and greet but the rest of us would be unaffected.
Then THAT signal arrived !
TBC