PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lay of the land in Helicopter world
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2014, 07:37
piperboy84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lay of the land in Helicopter world

Trying to get my head around the brands, models and capabilities of small helicopters, I’m a commercial, instrument SEL qualified pilot who is looking into a helicopter add-on rating. I have located a training facility in the US that seems to fit the bill for price, reputation and location to do the conversion.

However post training I would probably be in the market for a mid-time used machine to keep at the farm strip along with my fixed wing SEL as opposed to renting,

With the above in mind and operating on the principle that I know SFA about helicopter models and ownership I have the following questions:

1. Apart from the obvious R22 what would be a similar other brand basic machines ie Enstrom, Schweizer etc ? What are the general pro and cons of these brands for someone in the market for a basic certificated used machine? What is the equivalent to a C172 in the helicopter world?

2. I would probably be looking for an N reg like my Maule, the FAA allow 30 maintenance tasks that lets me to do a fair amount of routine maintenance myself which saves a couple of quid on the operating costs of the Maule. Is this the same for helicopters and is this advisable for a non A&P? Other than the engine what are the big “gotcha” items, if any, in helicopter maintenance that jump out costing an arm and leg.

3. I know that Robinson is a strong long term manufacturer, are there European brands similar to Robinson that have good parts and maintenance support in the UK with a decent sized used market.

4. Is there an “LSA” type model in the helicopter world similar to that in the fixed wing arena , if so is the market and product development as mature as the fixed wing manufacturers in regards to national approvals and safety etc?

I plan on doing some in depth due diligence regarding model AD's and service bulletins and reputation etc, but thought I would throw it out here first to see if I can whittle down my choices to a machine whose mission would be carrying 2 people, no baggage carrying needed or high useful load, don't care about cruise speed, local flights no more then 250 mile round trip without refueling, VFR machine that burns less then 15USG per hour, preferably with an engine that has a big parts market.