PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2014, 07:09
jack schidt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello,

If you can gain a license and get rewarded for carrying out your hobby, ie flying then good for you. The question is, will the hardwork, investment and future career path available to you, be worth you doing it? Be honest with yourself as it is you who will benefit or lose from your decisions. Do not let your heart bankrupt your bank by investing in this route if you will regret it later.

I am sorry to say that or to be negative in this thread, I wish all of you the joy of flight but I certainly do not wish anyone here go ahead and regret a poor decision in the future. Age is a factor on your employability and with age should come experience. In my airline, some of the "career first officers" are those older FO's who just can't get to grips with the trade as they have become less adaptable to quick learning and change as they have become older. With this fact in mind, many airlines post restrictions on recruiting FO's because of that fact, unless they have a lifetime of experience and are able to cope/adapt. Many FO's around 40+ and who were late starters to the flying career, would normally have at least 5000hrs or so to be able to move into a decent position for reward in the airline business.

Aviation recruiters, no matter which flying field it is are always out to hire the low experienced guys for nothing and selling yourself to be airborne is really not worth it. Keep a good career and fly for fun and enjoy the flying.

Unfortunately in todays "very competitive" world, we all need to hold a position that will reward us finacially and perhaps support a family. I am not familiar with other areas of aviation other than the airlines over the last 2 decades and so I am sorry I am not qualified to comment on other areas of recruitment.

Simply put, for me I would today consider 35 to be the absolute TOP age that I think it would be worthwhile getting into an avaition career today. The prospects of a reasonable salary with a command might take you 10 to 20 years depending on where you go. Looong flights and sleepless nights is the reality. I have just come back off a 14+ hour flight and my definition of fatigue is... you have a good sleep and after you wake up you still feel tired and can't shake that feeling. There are better ways to make a living and enjoy your hobby.