PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OCTU Briefing card
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2014, 11:52
Madbob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leading from the front.......

I was at Henlow on 334 Cse (Blue Sqn) and my Flt Cdr was a Flt Lt Roebuck. We were his second course and it had been a wet and cold winter.....

During the camp at Stanta in Norfolk the local river (the Wissey) had burst its banks and water was practically everywhere. Sadly I can't claim the credit for what happened next but a recoursee (Keith W) had the lead and with "right flight, I'm not going to lead you anywhere I'm not prepared to go myself" proceeded to lead us deeper and deeper into the water. It got over our "privates" and nearly to our chests before it stared to get shallower.

Meanwhile, our illustrious Flt Cdr waited in the only dry patch as we all dutifully followed our leader for the exercise as we cracked on. (We had a one-for-all and all-for-one ethos in our flight....)

It was only when we had made it across that Flt. Lt. Roebuck, having no option than to follow us, duly did so. 3 months later at the end-of-course grad he confessed that it was the only time he'd got his feet wet inside his boots as a Flt Cdr, let alone 60% of his body. Naturally, he had no option but to commend the cadet lead for his leadership skills, even if Keith's navigation wasn't 100%. (Well Keith wasn't blame for that, we were both GD/P.....not GD/N after all.)

Happy days.

MB