PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 23rd Oct 2014, 11:41
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's a long way down

AA62,

Welcome back, glad to hear you enjoyed yourself. An old ex GE mate who you might be acquainted with (T****r T*****on), who has certainly accompanied you on routes, has recently reminded me of the story of the pongo who wanted to go out with the load. ISTR having dangled it at you previously, then failed to post it. Anyway as you are back, I thought you might have some knowledge of this, here's the text of TT's email;

"AA62 asked you about an incident regarding something or someone going out with a load, which I think was something I mentioned to you so, I will recount it for you to put on PPRUNE if you wish. I was assigned to an aircraft, as the AGE, which was going to airdrop a Landover + trailer onto Keevil. An Army Officer turned up as a pax & showed much interest in the live drop. The Loadie was very twitchy about the load & briefed me & the Army Officer not to go beyond the load as it was all rigged to go & he did not want the worry of people moving around it. When we were on approach to the DZ the Army Officer asked the Loadie how he got into the Landover. Perplexed the Loadie asked why. My troops are on the ground watching this drop & it will impress them when they see me get out of the Landover. Obviously the Loadie told him in no uncertain terms he would not be parachuting on to the DZ today."

So, any recollection, of the incident. I for one don't doubt the veracity of TT's story, perhaps, coming from the ALM fraternity you may have heard of it, or similar.

Smudge

Last edited by smujsmith; 23rd Oct 2014 at 18:55.