PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is the RAF "anti-cannon" ?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2014, 08:43
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FM,

Thought I'd try to give you an answer, which is, i think, 'nearly'.

Post WW2, the USAF's requirement for a jet night fighter included a requirement for guns mounted in gimballed turrets that could be fired 'off axis'. (I wonder whether they were influenced by the Luftwaffe's upward firing 'Jazz Music' installations?)

The F89 Scorpion and F-94 Starfire both included nose mounted gun turrets in their designs, but these were binned early on and replaced with batteries of forward firing unguided missiles. These changes were driven by the realisation that effective gun engagements were going to be very difficult to achieve for early jets, and that longer range solutions had to be tried.

Incidentally, the Hughes team working on the radar assisted 'automatic fire control' systems for these aircraft published the very first papers on what came to called 'control theory' - I remember referencing it during my time at Cranfield.

The idea did surface again during the USAF's integrated fire and flight control (IFFC) programme of the late 70s. The trial aircraft (F-15, I think) had its M61 Gatling system modified to allow a very small amount (I think somewhere between 2 and 4 degrees) of gun deflection. This was linked to a high rate hydraulic actuation system, driven by the IFFC system. The idea was to allow the gun to make small but important high rate corrections to the aiming solution without moving the aircraft. I seem to remember that the system worked extremely well.

Hope this is vaguely interesting

Best Regards as ever

Engines