PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First Solo
Thread: First Solo
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2014, 05:38
Lancair70

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He's not the only bloke his age to be doing that, I know another old guy (early 80s rings a bell) who's wife used to drive him down once a week for his flying lesson.

His wife mentioned that it was the only thing he'd remember week to week. Sadly the instructor has moved on now and he's no longer having his lessons.
Nibbles, local to me there was a regular school operation where a very senior gentleman would turn up frequently to go flying. I knew the CFI and he told me that he'd never get solo and the gent knew that, but enjoyed piloting around the local area with the CFI beside him. AFAIK that stopped a while back when the CFI left to pursue other income sources.

Great to see seniors not rotting away but still wanting to learn and experience life. I once had an 87yr old man as a one way pax, he got out with a tandem master at 10,000'. Unfortunately for him his ankle got twisted on landing and req'd an ambulance ride back to town. He was stoked with the jump and kept saying he could have twisted his ankle on a step, at least he did it from 10,000 feet.