PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Darwin ATC. Nothing to see here, move along
Old 23rd Oct 2014, 02:28
RENURPP

Received 33 Likes on 8 Posts
As someone previously said, ATC personel has been cut in the last 8 years or so (losing some non control staff) which means greater workload on controllers, more workload at the console and more fatigued controllers.

This adds up to... poorer ATC retention, more training required and less experience at the console.

Corporate knowledge is being lost at a greater rate than recent years because of retention issues....and it doesnt look like getting better any time soon.
If you are referring to RAAF ATC then I believe its irrelevant to this conversation, From my experience standards haven't decreased, they have scraped along the bottom for many years.

You guys seem to forget that the controllers simply have to play the hand they are dealt, they are members of the military, they dont have a union, they have no advocate they are simply a cog in the machine. In order to solve issues of this magnitude you need to solve the problem at its root. We need people to want to stay in the military, get experience and pass that on as best they can to others. At the moment you have people with 12 months experience teaching others to do the job (out of pure necessity).
I don't think thats a fair comment. Its the sytem thats at fault and all bar one poster seem to support that. i.e. they are not attacking the individuals. My only gripe with individual controllers is that they deny deny deny there is an issue.

Write your safety occurence reports, send them in, write to your member and provide evidence of the situation otherwise you are just a bunch of people whinging on a forum just like the rest of the internet.

That is what you need to do in order to even start to fix this problem.
I wish that were true.
I have submitted countless reports, pushed for and achieved a joint audit by RAAF and who ever the Civil ATC was back then (25 years ago) all with the promise (by RAAF) that we would be informed of the outcome. Of course that never happened, nothing changed.