PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 22nd Oct 2014, 21:04
Xercules

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Albert's Bases and Squadrons

Smug,

The first Albert Sqn was 36 which, I believe, formed with the first deliveries at Colerne in '66. Shortly after 36 moved to Lyneham. There were then 36 and 24 at Lyneham, 30 and 47 at Fairford and 48 at Changi (Singapore). AA62 may be able to give you the date for 48's move back to the UK and Lyneham. 70 was based in Akrotiri and was taking on Hercs with the last crews arriving from 23 Conversion Course (I was on 24!!) in 1971.

30 and 47 moved to Lyneham in '73, if memory serves, with 48 arriving shortly after. 70 came back as well in probably '74. 36 then disbanded in 75 shortly before 48 also disbanding leaving the 4 squadrons you knew well.

One other point that seems to be forgotten was that originally there was a single SF crew on each squadron before they were all corralled with 47. This was a point I had to argue with my D in MoD (an air defender) who could only envisage SF and 47 thus, he thought, making 47 when it came to various decisions about which hot what and when.

I hope this helps but others may be able to pin it down better.