PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heavylift crash
Thread: Heavylift crash
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2014, 12:05
Duck Pilot

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
Thumbs down

The report is on the PNG AIC website. For anyone who has flown in PNG for a considerable amount of time would be able to quickly work out what caused this accident from the report.

I knew the Captain reasonably well and I am deeply saddened that his life ended this way. Totally Avoidable - he should have know better! The business of ATC issuing a visual approach clearance to an aircraft when they know fully that the conditions aren't suitable for a visual approach is not reasonable in my opinion. To effectively pass on all responsibility to the PIC when ATC are fully aware that the conditions don't meet the criteria to do a visual approach is not what I would consider as being appropriate given the circumstances. Fair enough the PIC should have rejected the clearance and demanded something more suitable, however to be offered something unworkable given the conditions is not right in my opinion.

PNG ASL and Hevilift need to look seriously at how effective their Safety Management Systems are as a result of this accident, obviously they didn't achieve their desired outcome in this case.

Last edited by Duck Pilot; 22nd Oct 2014 at 20:51.