PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Private jet crashed at Moscow Airport Vnukovo: 4 killed
Old 22nd Oct 2014, 00:42
Shore Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sigh......

In my mind, the most dangerous place to be in a powered aircraft is on the surface.

Remember, the most awful accident in aviation history is the collision on the ground of two 747's at Tenerife.

It will be interesting to see the sophistication of the surface surveillance system in place (and whether it was operational or compromised). And whether it provided any warnings to ATC prior to impact.

The problem with all surface surveillance systems in place around the world right now is, regardless of their sophistication, the warning software only activates in the tower. By the time the threat is (1) announced, (2) recognized (3) reacted to (4) warning issued to aircraft/surface vehicle involved (5) warning recognized (assuming transmission not "blocked" (6) and warning reacted to, well the event is already over.

The only way to solve this problem with existing technologies is the put the warning in the cockpit as well as ATC. The only way to do this is with ADS-B technology.

I was involved in the research of this application. It is promising. But, to initiate, it will involve full integration of "Next Gen" technology in all aircraft and surface vehicles.

I know I will not see this in my lifetime (and I am not that old). I wish it would.

Current surface systems, even at their most sophisticated level (ASDE-X), are still limited by the above limitations. Cockpit annunciations of conflict must be incorporated to enhance surface safety. That technology would have saved this accident from happening, along with many others.

And, surface guidance must be provided in the cockpit. One of the great ironies in aviation is that Part 25 aircraft are being delivered with the capability of navigating around the world within meters of assigned route, achieving an autoland with virtual zero visibility, then clear the runway and be guided to the gate by a paper document and compass. Taxi out with the same technology.Bizarre.

Surface vehicles can purchase (Garmin) GPS equipment that shows surface position. Part 25 aircraft cannot unless equipped with Class III EFB's. (Maybe Class II's by now? Not sure).

Boeing has a system installed in their 777 research simulator that provides surface guidance (magenta line) for ground operations. Delivered by CPDLC.

The Falcon 50 involved could well have been a large transport aircraft, with the result being hundreds of fatalities. This story will be relegated to page 3 or later because of the relative low number of fatalities.

Hopefully, the aviation press will attach the great significance to this event that it deserves.