PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thomas cook b757 incident, what a total mess
Old 21st Oct 2014, 21:41
BARKINGMAD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ENERGY MANAGEMENT AGAIN?!

2 pennyworth to move the discussion on a different track, NPI.

Having logged the surface wind, presumably looked at the HSI wind arrow and clocked the W/S reports, why such a high G/S downwind and on base, thereby setting up the scenario for a possible rushed approach?

The difficulty in establishing the LOC likely resulted from this, along with ATC vectors being a possible contributory factor. But then it's up to us GOFs never to shy from hinting to ATC that a different intc vector would be appropriate in the met conditions?

Then, when faced with an instruction to go-around from ATC, was/is it really necessary to go for a TOGA & likely high energy mode when already at 1500' agl? In addition to the rare surprise all-engined G/As, which should be part of the 6-monthly check, why not at least discuss in the sim briefing room other ways of performing a DISCONTINUED APPROACH, which don't rely on auto-flight modes but is still a safe and more passenger-friendly and tired crew-capable way of calling off an approach, especially if not IMC?

This capt PF was obviously distracted and more than likely knackered after the long duty starting early, we've all been and will be there too often, but once again I ask if the concept of Energy Management in all flight phases is a much neglected part of the training/testing environment?

Re the utilisation of sim time, I recall with disgust and frustration the many OPCs where by the time we got "airborne" for the duty predictable EFATO, more than 1 hour of sim time had been squandered on the classic 1st flight of the day cold start full cockpit setup, popped CBs, de-icing and LVO briefings involving normal checklist, supplementary checklist and the operators own Operational Procedures checklist plus engine start malfunctions, lo-vis taxying and the duty RTO. Aaaaaarrrrgh! ! ! ! !

There has to be a better way of using expensive and valuable sim time. I stress I'm not putting the blame on the TREs/TRIs, I'm joining the existing chorus of those on this thread who are vainly challenging the xAAs various to wake up and smell the coffee and join the rest in the auto-dependant 21st century!!!