PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Radar Bomb Score Units (RBSU)
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2014, 14:09
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by t7a
The bomber would overfly an Initial Point where it would be picked up and locked onto by a tracking radar (I can't remember the radar type, but it was mounted on a mobile unit). The radar track was fed to a plotting table on another mobile unit. Prior to weapon release, the aircraft would transmit a tone which stopped at weapon release. This produced a spike on the plotting trace from which, using weapon forward throw and aircraft groundspeed an impact point could be plotted relative to the target position.
IIRC the radar up to the mid 60s was the AA No 3 Mk 7. The kit may have been old but the operators were good.

At high level we tended to fly a timing trombone flying away from the target and turning back to make the time on target. We would fly through an initial point 45 miles from the target on our declared track. The operators often picked us up flying away and held lock through the IP.

Against Haydock we used to do an equipment 28 run. This was usually on a south west track. At 45 miles they would lock up and we would break lock, strangle the jammer and wait for relock. The AEO was scored on his break lock time.

Against Ouston, and often on a north east track we would fly against their jammer. This was an untuned X-band jammer off the B50. Eventually there were no spares so ECCM ceased. Much earlier a 3-jammer complex on Brantub was very impressive.