PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What would you do?
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2014, 13:18
Alister101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What would you do?

Afternoon all,

I've been a lurker for a while now, but I need some personal advice.

I've always wanted to be a Pilot especially within the military, however from a young age I always thought I wasn't good enough.

About 5-6 years ago, a pair of low flying Tornado F3s flew past my window, and I thought to myself, 'well, why not?' and started my quest of wanting to be in the military.

My first hurdle was there was suspicion I had migraines, which turned out to be not placed on my Medical History as there was doubt in the diagnosis, and was told "You don't suffer from them"

Next, my eye sight degraded, yet I could still pursue a career within the AAC/FAA.

I applied to the RN FAA as Pilot but at this time SDSR was about to come out, and the advice I was given was go to University as no one knows what will happen and what recruitment will be like.

I did exactly that, went to Uni and did a degree in Business Studies focusing on leadership and management. As I was always told and quick to remember; You're an Officer first, Pilot second.

Whilst at University, I joined the University Royal Naval Unit ( Navy Version of the UAS), and I did everything I could to gain as experience as possible. From going on numerous Opt. Joint Warrior, getting my Dunker Certificate, doing flying grading and getting a report, visiting numerous air stations such as RAF Valley, been to sea with the Americans, Dutch, Germans and getting the same Leadership and Management qualification as an Officer straight out of BRNC gets.

Whilst at Uni, I found out my eyesight had degraded again, then the age limit for Pilot was lowered.
Thus meaning, if i wanted laser eye surgery, I couldn't as I didn't have enough time after the year wait.
This drags on, and after a lot of convincing myself I go for another eye test and my eyes have improved, by double!

But then I developed a nasal problem, where my nose makes too much mucus.. After getting that sorted, I applied. Only to find out the standards for the maths grade at school I had was no longer accepted. So spent ages trying to track down the standard of maths I had done at University and eventually got a waiver.

After 4 weeks of practicing for the RT test, I had mine today to be told I failed the reasoning section. I've been told, I can come back in 6 months time ( If I start a college course or further education ) thus giving me maybe around 7 months for entry - which I suspect might not be long enough.

My question is, should I bother with military aviation anymore. Face the fact that fate doesn't want me to join as I'll either be too old to join, or have a medical problem the docs at Cranwell won't like. I know I'm not the first person to have a problem like this, nor will I be the last. Anyone been through a situation like this?

Apologies for the long winded question!

Regards,
Ali