PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CAMBRIDGE
Thread: CAMBRIDGE
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2014, 10:48
litefoot1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cambridge's only scheduled flights - Cityjet services to Amsterdam and Dublin - terminate on Saturday and it isn't known whether or not they'll return.

I flew on the Cambridge to Dublin route on Sunday and thought you might be interested in a few pics.

The airport itself is a couple of miles east of Cambridge town centre on the A1303. It isn't visible from the main road - you go into the car park where you will see this entrance in the corner:

Follow the path around and the airport is behind the car park/Marshall Aerospace building:

The check-in area is small but pleasant and the staff are very polite:

The departure lounge looks quite swish and there's a small café round the corner. Wi-Fi is free and unlimited.

The flight was on time, here's the plane:

There were only 16 of us on a 52 seater so based on that I can understand why Cityjet want to can the route. This is my view from the back seat

After Saturday Oct 25th, there won't be anymore commercial passenger flights from Cambridge until their weekly flights to the French and Swiss Alps in December.

However, despite the lack of scheduled flights until next summer (Verona and Jersey) I doubt the airport is in any trouble as the airport is owned and operated by Marshall Aerospace, a Cambridge company who handle aviation and military contracts, with their sizable headquarters dwarfing the terminal building which is hidden well behind the HQ. There were some large (non passenger) planes being worked on when I arrived. The airport has survived without scheduled services before, so I doubt this airport is going anywhere.

I read an article this morning about increased rail services between Cambridge and Stansted Airport (30 minutes journey direct) but I doubt it will threaten Cambridge Airport.

Greater Anglia says new train services between Stansted Airport and Cambridge are on track | Bishops Stortford Herts & Essex Observer

Last edited by litefoot1; 21st Oct 2014 at 11:28.