PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My dream - advice please (collective thread)
Old 21st Oct 2014, 08:05
leemp5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking about becoming a pilot

Hi guys,

My first post here, hope its in the correct section.

For a long time I have wanted to be a pilot, scared of heights but love being in the air (yeah as crazy as it sounds). Until recently i have never had the cash to do the training. Now I am able to afford to pay for the training outright i am considering doing it however there are a number of things putting me off. If possible i would like to hear the views of people with more experience on the following points:

Salary:
Are pilots salaried or paid per flight hour? I have read conflicting things on the internet.
Also is it true pilots can start on as little as 20k a year? Again i have read different things. Many websites state being a pilot is one of the best paying jobs earning 70k + per year however others say you can start on around 20k.
I currently earn 32k (+OT taking it to around 40k) repairing the EEC for trent 700 & 800 engines. I dont really want to spend 60k on training to walk into a 20k a year job.

Job Prospects:
Is it really that hard to get a job with a decent airline? Due to the high cost of training id have thought pilots are hard to come by, however many sites on the internet are saying there are loads of pilots and few jobs.

Commuting:
I understand being a pilot is not exactly a 9-5 job. I have no problem working unsociable hours, however I have also read that pilots have to commute 100's of miles or get a flight to another airport before starting their shift, that some sleep in airport lounges and even the planes themselves. What is the reality of this?

I have read articles at the following link however it seems to be very US orientated. How does this compare to flying for UK airlines?:
The Truth About the Profession - Home

All advice greatly appreciated.