PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From 1960,Who is this pilot and is he still around!!
Old 21st Oct 2014, 00:55
John Eacott

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by airborne_artist
I was led to believe that in the 60s it was just about possible for an FAA SL (P) to be CDQ before he made Sub Lt - the 2ic of RN EFTS in the late 70s was one, I was told.

20 and still a Middy and in the front seat - could it get better in the world of aviation? There could even have been a 19 y/o.

John Eacott may be able to expand/confirm this?
Joining back in 1967 the system was beginning to slow down a bit: I guess one difference that isn't always apparent to current aircrew was that you went through Dartmouth as a Cadet, not gaining Midshipman or Acting Sub Lieutenant until moving on to flying training. If you were under 21 then a Midshipman rank for you, over 21 you were an A/S/Lt, regardless of capability. Since too many of our course passed out at Dartmouth (we were the last FW and HSP) there weren't enough slots in flying training and the youngest were sent off to holdover and rejoined with the subsequent lot to pass out from BRNC. Again, totally age related and regardless of exam results, etc.

So, if you joined at minimum age (17 1/2) and got out of BRNC 8 months later, sailed through flying training, front line would come about 2 years after joining. Expect a year front line before getting a Proficiency Certificate (as it was known) so just about three years from joining Dartmouth and just before turning 21 and still a Midshipman

But the system tended toward delays so with my 3-4 month holdover plus 3 months on 700S that added another six months to getting front line, back in June 1970 This was for two pilot ASW crews where a lot of second pilot button pushing was a part of the day to day grind.

That was my take as an ASW driver, but the Junglies had a shorter AFT/OFT timescale plus less emphasis on day/night deck operations, so they would have a better chance to be Midshipman in command a lot earlier. Fixed Wing, I'm not at all sure of their training timescale but certainly they were throwing aluminium death tubes at the deck a lot sooner than we ASW dual pilot crews were trusted to be in charge!